Guest Join UsHey There,
Now that everyone's preppin, join us!!
Find out how much toilet paper you'll need!
Read about prepping Pre-COVID-19
Find out how to build a tinfoil hat
Surviving on only urine??
Start a car with an egg and black pepper
Escape from a freezer
Evade a hungry charging bear
Much More.. or Create an Account

RED ALERT: COVID-19 Global Pandemic x

Moderators Wanted (Apply Within) x

Previos GRF members, you will need to reregister and READ THIS
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping Your Garden Space Early
(02-12-2014, 10:45 PM)Whiteangel Wrote: Thank you @Graywolf !

All my mint types are in containers.  I didn't know that about the water so I will put by the spigots.  I know they also do well in partial shade which helps in those areas as well. 

I think I will up my tomatoes to 10 regulars, 10 roma (that is all my aunt cans with unless she is making tomato juices) and 1 cherry though I will start two.  I hate tossing plants so that will of course means there will be 2 plants, lol.

Thank you @cep89 - I will remember to stagger planting times for the broccoli !!

Hey Angel ... Don't forget if you have extra plants that you don't need in your garden, people will buy them at farmer's markets and flea markets.  There are usually farmer's markets at feed and seed stores around locally, so ask around.  When you have extra plants, take them and sell them for a buck or two at the markets.  That way, you don't waste them, and you always have as many as you need. 

@Whiteangel
@Graywolf - don't you need a permit to sell something at the Farmers Market?  I have never attempted to sell there so really don't know.
There is a small list of food items I can't find here in Transylvania.  Heinz ketchup used to be on the list, but it arrived here a year or two ago.  I used to bring a lot of it back with me from England.

Right.  Occasionally I ran out.  Bad news.  Serious bad news.  So I went looking for ketchup recipes - just in case.  We tried several, but here is the recipe we found best.  Its actually quite easy.  Needs to be refrigerated or processed to keep long, but for us, a single recipe is used up fast enough to not go bad in the fridge.

3  (US) pints tomatoes, cooked, skinned and run through a food processor till liquid
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Boil tomatoes, skin them and then run through a food processor along with the onions and garlic.  Put all in a big heavy pan and add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then turn down low and leave to simmer and thicken.  About an hour should do it.  Watch it like a hawk as it burns easily.  (That's why I mentioned using a VERY heavy pan.)   A taste test doesn't work well on this.  Ketchup needs to be refrigerated and served with food to get the real flavour. 

The reason I'm putting this post in here with garden planning is because its easy to have a glut of tomatoes - at almost any time of the reason. This recipe works for ANY type of tomato, or any combination of them. Certain knowledge of how many plants to plant is impossible. The weather alone can mess up the best laid plans, but then there's seed quality, the quality of the ground, and on and on and on. I just thought it might be good to have an extra nice and easy recipe for something almost all of us use.

Hope you like it!
Foxy

I converted my metric recipe to American measure.  And checked it twice.
[Image: 1932443_661281580577299_1369877897_n.jpg]
Last year several of us tried that idea HT and it didn't work out so well.  Might have been the kind of potatoes we were using, as I have since read one needs to use late potatoes and not early ones.  We built a box to give it another try but I am pretty sure I used late last year but....I think they were Yukon Golds and those are early potatoes.  I tried to go back through all the posts and can't find where I stated what I grew and my paper work mysteriously disappeared!! 

Early potatoes will only set one grouping of potatoes not matter how much dirt you hill up and that is exactly what I got last year.  One set of potatoes only.  Because I can't find what I planted, will try it one more time, using late season russets.
(02-13-2014, 12:44 AM)Whiteangel Wrote: @Graywolf - don't you need a permit to sell something at the Farmers Market?  I have never attempted to sell there so really don't know.

Here in Virginia you don't ... as far as I know, because we got the application to sell at one of the big ones, and it didn't require permits or anything ... you just had to pay them for your spot.  I don't think some of the smaller ones even require that ... like the ones at the local feed and seed store.  They have them once a month, as well as having a chicken swap once a month here.  People just come and park in the parking lot.  I think they do it to entice customers in to their business, and also as a community service to get people together.

As for the flea markets, we have several around here, and one of them charges like $7.00 a spot for all day.  I mean, you can sell anything you want there, so stuff from your house that you are getting rid of, plants, produce ... I have seen it all at the flea market.  No one has a permit or anything ... it is small and everyone minds their own business. 

Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but it would be worth looking into. 

@Whiteangel
We the time comes, I will check into it more.  I actually don't even go to the FM.  Usually they are more high priced than Sprouts, which is a store that stocks a lot of FM produce, grown local, organic and GMO free when listed.
Looked and looked and couldn't find what I wanted to made an excel spreadsheet for gardening info.  This is planting info.  There is still a lot of empty spots so if you have the info, you can post it.

Companion planting is in one tab and garden planting in another.
Found this page that might help some of you with your planning, it even has Moon times, as well as what dates are best to start your plants indoors.

www.      almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/CO/Denver
Information 
Tyson Fury's coronavirus advice: 'Listen to Boris, stay inside'

Boxer Tyson Fury tells the public to "stay inside" as the country fights the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/boxing/52019977