Guest Join UsHey There,
Now that everyone's preppin, join us!!
Find out how much toilet paper you'll need!
Read about prepping Pre-COVID-19
Find out how to build a tinfoil hat
Surviving on only urine??
Start a car with an egg and black pepper
Escape from a freezer
Evade a hungry charging bear
Much More.. or Create an Account

RED ALERT: COVID-19 Global Pandemic x

Moderators Wanted (Apply Within) x

Previos GRF members, you will need to reregister and READ THIS
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening Sucks!
Im investing on  Aquaponics system in a green house. 

I cant wait to get started.
(08-07-2013, 10:48 PM)Bosco Warden Wrote: Im investing on  Aquaponics system in a green house. 

I cant wait to get started.

Cool !
Be sure to post up with what you discover, I think the aquaponics section in the forum is empty.
Keep at it WA, I know what you mean about the challenges. It is all trial and error. Bosco way to go on aquaponics, I am hoping to do the same soon. 

I think we all need to be doing lots of different types of growing. Have food everywhere you can. I agree with shading, I can see it has helped my stuff, some things if not shaded are just burning. I have lost 1 blueberry plant this year and i need a plan for next year. There are in a lot of sun. More trees if you can. 

Everyone should at minimum have some sprouting supplies. Good source of nutrients and easy to do.
Thing with my garden, it is between two trees and gets dappled sunlight during the heat of the day.  I am wondering more about blocking actual sun rays or maybe whatever it is that is falling from the sky that is in the rain and air?
(08-07-2013, 09:52 PM)Whiteangel Wrote: Thank you Lib.  Plucked the hot pepper that was on there.  Picked the zucchini.  Cut off the bad cucumbers.  Checked tomatoes and tossed all with holes in them. 

Now, we will wait and see what happens.  I will pick up a soil tester the next time I am out and see what is missing.
Sorry, forgot to say, nip out the top growing points on tomatoes to stop them putting on more height and leaves, this should also encourage so e new flower shoots.
Yes agree Optimist, we all need to experiment with methods and different planting times.  I will start my seeds very early next year, and maybe it is time to finish the greenhouse and heat it if necessary, I have managed without up until now.

Shading, with the stronger sun we all need to consider this, and mulching for water conservation.
Yes Lib the mulching will be a major need due to no way to provide proper feeding when SHTF.
If we start now to fill our pits and bags by winter we should have a lot already started and by spring we will be way ahead.
Our plants will love us and do us well by producing more. BUT this has to be greenhouse....No longer will a simple garden
outside work to feed our families when there are no stores. Chemicals and radiation alone has done its job and now weather.
We need to be on this as if our lives depend on it because in reality ....IT DOES....
(08-08-2013, 05:37 AM)alaska_freedom Wrote: Yes Lib the mulching will be a major need due to no way to provide proper feeding when SHTF.
If we start now to fill our pits and bags by winter we should have a lot already started and by spring we will be way ahead.
Our plants will love us and do us well by producing more. BUT this has to be greenhouse....No longer will a simple garden
outside work to feed our families when there are no stores. Chemicals and radiation alone has done its job and now weather.
We need to be on this as if our lives depend on it because in reality ....IT DOES....
I am on this, i'll start a new thread for emergency gardening, now.
Whiteangel I'm only a few miles from you and had the exactly the same problem with my cucumbers, they looked very weird.  The plant is now dying.  Also have not had a zucchini yet at all.  Never had that problem before.  My yellow squash is doing great though, had quite a few.  Only five watermelons and they are growing very slowly too.  I did ok with peppers.  My tomatoes started off really well.  I picked a couple then noticed a couple just fell off while green about the size of a baseball.  They ripened ok and tasted fine, but can't work out why they just fell off.   Brussel sprouts may be ready by 2016 if I'm lucky lol.  My beans were a total fail.  Had about five beans then pulled the plant.  My garden gets sun in the morning then dappled shade like yours from about 2pm.  My other garden is over the other side of the yard.  Not one tomato on that plant.  The potatoes have great growth but only seeing very small ones so far.  Giving them some more time.  Corn is going ok so far except for the dreaded earwig that are all over them.  Made a pest spray with some garlic and cayenne, the earwigs didn't like that much and the corn seems to have less on them now.  I have noticed many, many bees around the garden which I thought was a good thing.

My soil is terrible so when I built my raised garden, I put in all organic soil, manure and compost.  So not sure if it's a soil issue or something else.  Funny we are having the same problem living in the same area.  Something in the water?
Here is a pic of two of the cucumbers that are just weird.  Never seen pointed cukes before, nor that they look like a vampired sucked the life out of them on the ends.  Where it looks weird, it doesn't show well, but there are white spines that are pokey.  Some of the newer ones, still pinky sized might be normal but not sure yet.

[Image: aedbd3cccd308f112b1527f3e3d20d13.jpg]